real vampires, vampire games and tv shows, movies or films, and vampire books

830

Apotamkin or rather, The Cold One

I’m sure we all clearly remember the scene in Twilight when Bella is beginning to get suspicious that there’s something “special” about Edward and goes home to furiously type things into Google. The camera views of what she pulls up are succinct, yet clear enough to give us the understanding that Bella has come across some Quielette legends stating something about “The Cold One” and how this cold one is a vampire. But,what is The Cold One? Is there actually a vampire known as this?

Well, the closest thing to any vampire legend that would bear any similarity to the legend of The Cold One would be the Apotamkin. This creature is unlike most other vampire folklore because it’s exclusive to the Native American people. The Apotamkin was a bona fide vampire however, with all the abilities and super strengths of other vampires that we know. It was believed among Native Americans that the Apotamkin would feast on the blood of any animal or human. And it got its name just the way you would expect – Apotamkins were very cold to the touch, mostly because they were dead bodies.

However, it’s been said that the Native American never really believed in the Apotamkin and that it was a cautionary tale told to children. This was used especially when warning children about wandering off by themselves with no supervision.

And, as for Twilight, Stephenie Meyer has said that in regards to her version and her version alone, she had no similarities in mind when writing the book. She simply needed to create random bits of Edward’s character and piece them together, cryptically, with mythical vampire folklore. Clever, though, how perhaps even without knowing it, Meyer has combined her own imagination of the Quileutte legend, with actual Native American vampire folklore!

apotampkinBella SwanEdward Cullennative american vampire folklorequileutte legendstephenie meyerthe cold onetwilightvampire folklorevampire legend

kate • March 2, 2010

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. lely June 6, 2010 - 1:06 pm

I THINK JACOB IS CUTE BUT… EDWARD IS CUTER TOO……………….

• ann mason June 7, 2010 - 12:14 pm

I am a Vamire!!!!!!!!!!

• Haven June 8, 2010 - 7:50 pm

So am I.

• Luís June 12, 2010 - 2:36 pm

Your not a vampire!

• Fairyvash June 13, 2010 - 11:05 pm

Aahaa! Me too!!!!!

• vampires fan June 19, 2010 - 5:58 am

mee too

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 8:53 am

thiz iz so gay ………….but jacob iz absolutly more cuter than edward TEAM JACOB ALLL THE WAY….. and for team edward u suck :P

• Annie June 15, 2010 - 2:54 am

i think Edward is so cool and i like him.

• ashly June 19, 2010 - 3:23 pm

i love twilight and new moon. i cant wait for eclipse to come out.

• uwillneverknowme June 23, 2010 - 9:39 am

i like jakob instede cuz im very very very very tan

• beebee August 14, 2010 - 12:59 pm

i think jacob was not cute on twilight when he was having long hair but then on twilight saga new moon woooooo when he was now having a nice cut he was now charming

2. GIGI June 7, 2010 - 6:17 am

i love vampires very much,but in my country haven’t vampies,only zombies.

• ann mason June 7, 2010 - 12:17 pm

what!?!?!??!??!??

• GIGI June 9, 2010 - 8:06 am

because i am a chinese.!!!!!!

• ashly June 19, 2010 - 3:24 pm

wtf???

• GIGI June 20, 2010 - 3:34 am

What tae kwon do? Should be in Chinese kung fu!

• beebee August 14, 2010 - 1:02 pm

which country is that?

3. GIGI June 7, 2010 - 6:36 am

edward is my dream lover,i want be come a vampires.

• ann mason June 7, 2010 - 12:16 pm

that inshuring edward i am his girlfriend!!!!

• GIGI June 10, 2010 - 3:11 am

wow!you are bella!oh my god,nice to meet you.

• Luís June 12, 2010 - 2:40 pm

You believe in vampires?

• GIGI June 14, 2010 - 2:59 am

Of course, don’t you believe

• hihihihihia June 20, 2010 - 2:10 pm

yeah i really am so stop saying that before i eat up!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GIGI June 22, 2010 - 10:07 am

what???你说什么?

• hihihihihia June 20, 2010 - 2:09 pm

Hay you little thing shut up okay!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blah blah blah June 22, 2010 - 12:27 pm

you guys are alll loosers. Jacob is my best friends LOVER and EDward is my Little sisters LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE! So you loose. :D happy days to all

• uwillneverknowme June 23, 2010 - 9:31 am

shut tha beeeeep up we r not having freakin happy days with u

• uwillneverknowme June 23, 2010 - 9:35 am

and edward and jakob does not know u they r betteh than you anywaise

• hihihihihia June 20, 2010 - 2:12 pm

sorry he’s my lover not yours so shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bella09 June 8, 2010 - 4:16 pm

wow, i know vampires arent real but wouldnt it be something if they were!?

5. Haven June 8, 2010 - 7:48 pm

I’m a vampire and i know it. The doctors told my mother when I was born.

• vampire girl June 19, 2010 - 8:56 pm

so wat now vampires are bitches like you dick head

• hihihihihia June 20, 2010 - 2:14 pm

you bitch don’t say that okay you can’t be saying that okay what 12yrs. old so now what you little bich slat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• uwillneverknowme June 23, 2010 - 9:27 am

yo not no vapire

• beebee August 14, 2010 - 1:04 pm

i wish i was like u

6. jane June 11, 2010 - 3:16 pm

i think vampires are living in jungle in africa and we cant see these creatures!!! :(

• Kate June 25, 2010 - 4:32 pm

They dont,Im a vampire and I dont live in Africa.

• beebee August 14, 2010 - 1:06 pm

yeah damn right im with u there

7. Nastya June 13, 2010 - 3:51 am

Ну, Я не очень хорошо говорю по английски……))))))))))))) Но мой комментарий к фильму Сумерки – It is very-very-very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• beebee August 14, 2010 - 1:08 pm

are u jackie chan?

8. Bella Embrey June 13, 2010 - 5:59 am

I believe in vampires, i believed in them since 2007. plus, just so people know, yes my name is Bella and my middle name is marie but my last name is not swan, though i wish it is. My firneds and i have a cult like twilight, we live in a rainy area and only come out when it rains and we only drink this not eat. and we are pale. I love my life.

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 8:59 am

ur sooo lame come on…….STOP LIEING UR NOT NO FUKING VAMPIRE……..BUT I NO WHT U REALY R WEIRD !!!!!!!!!

9. aleyna akyürek June 13, 2010 - 7:15 am

bende edward’la sevişmek için can atıyorum o benim her şeyim hayatımın aşkı onu çok seviyorum beni de öpmesini sevişmesini sex yapmasına istiyorum:):):):):)

10. bella June 13, 2010 - 7:16 am

ten points

11. cloe June 13, 2010 - 3:26 pm

i wish they were real…well if they were real they would turn me into a vampire or sumthinn and cann u actually find them in jungles? tht is weird and wot is the website that bella goes on to look at the cold ones ?? cant find it :@

12. Adriaunna June 13, 2010 - 4:51 pm

that explains eward more than alot.

13. Kristen June 13, 2010 - 6:53 pm

vampires are real… in fact scientists proved that vampires lived and are still living today. they dont sparkle and can eat real food, their eyes dont change color, they cant run fast, they can get tanned, they dont have special powers either!!!,BUT they still crave blood (they barley drink it). SOME CAN SEE THE FUTURE if they concintrate (i know i spelled it wrong!) BUT only up to an hour ahead.

• D3sad June 16, 2010 - 7:12 am

Some of what you say is actual the seeing in the future has been named as many different way one is as those who know with out knowing why. It is old Icelandic or, Inuet; Eskimo. It is a way of explaining to know the future and, of reading minds. Often times these particular individuals are considered to be as or, even more important to the tribe or, maybe better to say as highly regarded. Though in these particular stories it is not meant to be a referal to vampires but, in very real things that people have lost the ability to notice anymore. I belive that most folk lore of vampire has more to do with old ways that have become lost to man kind. I myself have always noticed the things that most do not. Immortality to me is more of a remembering of lives lived and, having a longing to keep coming back more to help people in my opinion. I have been called a very old soul and, have admirable knowledge of lost civilizations as well as lost ways that people have forgotten.

14. Fairyvash June 13, 2010 - 11:11 pm

I know you belive me not but i saw a vamp when I went to amazon there was this guy with red eyes and he kept on staring at me but then I left the place. Then I found a note that said ” I will get u” I think it’s my stupid bro but u never know!

• D3sad June 16, 2010 - 7:26 am

Red eyes offten are a by product of albino disorders. Though there have been cases of of a type of loup garu known to Afracan tribes people from a type of ware hyena type of shape shifter that has the same quality of frenzied madness as the loup garu curse. Witch has a typical glowing eyes as was stated in the case of a man being held in a asylum or mental hospital for criminaly insane individuals in Africa. As is slightly strange for me I have forgotten some of the account of the manurscript I read conserning this particular case. Such as the dates and exact responses or statements made about this partucular case. As with many legends and, stories every culture has slightly differing acounts of similar types of curses.

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:02 am

NOW UR REALY CRAZY I RECUMEND U GO 2 THE DOCT CUZ U GOT SOME PROB’Z

15. Victoria June 14, 2010 - 12:53 am

hey..
    i’m believe in vampire..
    and i wanna become one of them..
    hhhuuu

16. caro June 15, 2010 - 7:15 pm

i love this movie and i think its stupid to think that we are the only one “kreatures”
    that decide us from the animals
    so why should it not give vampires or something? but i think if they really exists, then they are not so like we think they are
    i hope everyone understands what i mean because my english is very bad… :) greetings

• D3sad June 16, 2010 - 7:33 am

The main thing I think people offten forget to realize that even if we are as insome God like image we afre still tied to being animals. The Inuet believed that though not offten there are animals that are as some humans witch know without knowing why. Or for lack of better ways found to put it self actualizing “self aware” such as humans are not just living off of pure instinct.
      I do get what you mean and think there is a very simple beauty to the way you put your intention. I also believe that there is more than just what the many want to believe or, fear to except as possible.

17. D3sad June 16, 2010 - 7:44 am

I think that we forget that these types of legends refer to those with these situations as cursed such as what the vampire name for the curse is the Dark Gift or more realisticly The Dark Curse. It is veryu hard to live with Gifting curses that make us very different than the many. When you learn to master such curses they can eventually be seen as a Gift to the individual.
    As I am one who sees what many have lost touch with or, may have been refered to as one who knows without knowing why.; because of this I have become very knowledgable of very old ways and, legends in search to find answers to my own perplexing questions that confused me my whole life till I got my answers on paper in front of me after already having some instinctual knowing what I would find.

18. Roberta June 16, 2010 - 8:41 am

All this are stupid legends
    vamps dont exist
    and neither werewolves do

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:04 am

thnx someone fannaly understand’z other people r realy retarted thinking vamp’z and wolf’z exist !!!!!!ughhh they r sooo dumm

19. lawren June 16, 2010 - 2:15 pm

[how could you i know for a fact that vampires exist!

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:04 am

no they DONT u DUMMASS!!!!!!!!!

20. secret stranger June 16, 2010 - 7:42 pm

you do not want to be a vampire trust me i have heard of their life and i know how to become one. please never say you want to be one. its a burden of life.

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:05 am

SHUT THE HELL ^ U LIER

21. secret stranger June 16, 2010 - 7:44 pm

also vampires are real if you ask that question but melting in sunlight is not a fact! i know their powers but please never ask this question again! ignore this website!

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:06 am

how bout insted of ignoring thiz web site we ignor u

22. Donja Cobb June 17, 2010 - 2:38 pm

vampires once existed but know dead and gone on the other hand indian werewolves still exist if you keep hunting you’ll find some deep in the woods and forest trust and believe i know

23. twilight fan June 18, 2010 - 3:56 am

i realy want to know the real website about the cold one. i search in google, but i didn’t find anything. i realy like twilight and new moon and i realy want to watch Twilight saga the Eclipse and Breaking down. kisses….

24. vampires fan June 19, 2010 - 5:50 am

i’m believe in vampire..
    and i wanna become one of them..
    vampires are real.. in fact scientists proved that vampires lived and are still living today.

i love vampire and i wanna become one of them

• vampires fan June 19, 2010 - 5:57 am

i love vampires and i wanna become one of them
      pliis.. tell me they is real

werefolf i love they too

jacob is my favorite werevolf
      and
      alise is my favorite vampire

25. ghighi_cullen June 19, 2010 - 7:14 am

i believe in vampire!!! i’m from italy…where were bella and edward in new moon!!!!!!!! i love edward!!!!!!!!!! i want to be his girlfriend….

26. camy_cullen June 19, 2010 - 7:17 am

i love twilight! i want to be bella because i will be with edward 4ever!
    kiss

27. anna June 19, 2010 - 2:13 pm

they are very stupid!! because you’re beileive wampire wapmpire where is?? :S you are very very stupid earth not wampire you are very crazy oke xD

28. wanda June 19, 2010 - 5:31 pm

the vampires do not have erections!!

hahaha

kill the vampires

29. Alejandra June 20, 2010 - 3:55 pm

i am a pale person live in a very rainy place dont come out in the sun light although where i live there is rearly sun coming out i love to drink blood i dont ever sleep i dont eat at all i go to school though i dont have blood in me that is why i drink it to keep myself storng not weak and i dont drink humans blood i drink animal blood becouse i do not want to be a monster like all u humans think we are.i sayid we becouse my whole family are vampires. and u people that belive that vampires dont exsist think again becouse we do exsist.

• Moonlight June 20, 2010 - 4:03 pm

Funny, that sounds a lot like the Cullens of Twilight

• trixter June 23, 2010 - 9:09 am

hahahaha poor u vampire’z dont exist

• jess June 26, 2010 - 8:57 am

You sound just like the cullen’s are you maby fam.?

30. jona June 20, 2010 - 7:03 pm

mmmmm se pueden esperar para la de eclipse pero no van a aguantar a ver la de amaneser qe si esta mui retirada de la fecha en la qe va a salir eclipse

31. mariana June 20, 2010 - 7:35 pm

i love you Edward

32. America Orozco
  33. leilani June 21, 2010 - 12:54 am

i m a real vampier actualy its fals animals blood is only for vegitarians but most only drink human and we live only in humid non sun places

34. milvie June 21, 2010 - 3:26 am

not just aal want to become a vampire,me tooooooo.

35. Ashlyn June 21, 2010 - 5:24 pm

Wow, this is pretty interesting. I’m a fan of teh Twilight series, more afor the romance and irony in it, but I couldn’t help getting trapped into how interesting these leends are. I really do hate it whenever I Google search anything that has to do with vampire or werewolf legends and Twilight stuff pops up. But this is fair, I suppose. Very cool.

36. João June 21, 2010 - 5:54 pm

I am a vampire. you should belive me.

37. Ani June 24, 2010 - 3:36 am

believe you don’t want to be a vampire! I know It’s cool but it’s very bad.The idea of vampires story is so cool but it’s very fatuously. I know that.Believe mi people

38. Kate June 24, 2010 - 12:23 pm

I sware I am a vampire. If you dont believe me,then I will track you down.And other people that dont believe in vampires,you should.I believe in alot.Because I know that im a vampire and to know that your a vampire is if you can smell human blood and you dont act like normal.The fun part about being a vampire is im the only one in my family thats a vampire,but I met other vampires that are real nice.

39. Kate June 24, 2010 - 4:43 pm

People who ask where vampires live,they live in forests,and rainy areas. I know this for a fact because I am a vampire. If you dont believe me then just see what will happen. I am not cold-blooded but I am everything else. I love drinking my best friends blood. Please comment.. humans!

40. Kate June 24, 2010 - 5:24 pm

If you want to be a vampire then listen to me. To be a vampire you have to get someone like you best friend to take your left arm,your left arm because it works better and then your best friend bites it for like 5 seconds and make sure your bite kind of is a circle.Then let go and wait exactly 4 min and it will kick in.Then the person that is turning into a vampire take a deep breath and the next day you will be a vampire.If you dont have any power the next day then you have to wait 1 month.If you still dont have the power it dosent matter because you are still a vampire and you will smell humans.

I hope it works for you! It worked for me but I only have 2 powers,i can smell humans and I can run as fast as Edward. I dont have the strenth yet to suck human blood.I really want to but I think i have to wait awhile.Trust me,you have to wait awhile. I hope you believe me because i would not write all of this for nothing. I sware it works,Im a vampire because I tried this.I sware! Comment if this works and comment if you feel different after you do this..Thanks!

41. Kate June 25, 2010 - 10:34 am

This human keeps looking at me, and im trying to read its mind!

• Kate June 25, 2010 - 4:36 pm

I read it! It was thinking about my eyes because my eyes were red and that means that I want a human!

42. Kate June 25, 2010 - 4:19 pm

This was weird… Today this human was looking at me from my car and they were looking at me the same way Jacobs dad looked at Edward in the first movie. Mabye they could tell that I am a vampire.

43. Kate June 25, 2010 - 4:34 pm

Its funny… My house kind of looks like Edwards. :p

44. cold one June 25, 2010 - 4:42 pm

i dont care about edward or jacob or even bella. say what you want to say, i just love the story, romance, hate, and adventure in this movie. and no one appreciates it. but if i would choose edward would win, because i am a COLD ONE!

45. sonny in chicago June 25, 2010 - 8:34 pm

TEAM EDWARD ALL THE FREAKING WAY

T BONE HI

46. jess June 26, 2010 - 8:49 am

Yes their is something like vampiers but in our world they are not like edward or alice they asre evil and not very nice people 2 be around!!!!!!

47. jess June 26, 2010 - 8:52 am

And 1 more thing why are all vampiers difrent in difrent movies???Like the vampier diary and littel vampier???And If you are a vamp.I am sooooo hidding from you!!!hahahahaha

48. jess June 26, 2010 - 9:03 am

Why do all vampier movies have a difrent way of how vampiers are?I like twilight but I hate vampiers I think in real life they are just evil!!!I mean I watched the vampier diarys and those vampiers was so difrent!!To tell you the truth I hate vampiers so sorry…But I like all the twilight books and movies its just soooo cute:D

49. Layla June 26, 2010 - 1:20 pm

What are vampires really?
    Are vampires like in film?
    How do people know that vampires exist?
    If so do they know something are have they experienced something about it?
    How does the tale about vampires start and why?
    Is it becouse people was frightend in the old times?
    Is it becouse people had to have some kind of explanation and just made it up?
    How do we know that vampires really suck blood?
    It’s intressting but it gives me nightmares.
    I have seen eyes in places sometimes and it makes me crasy.
    I see them and then they are gone.
    I have also seen shadows but that was a long time ago.
    Can someone explain this to me?

50. jess June 27, 2010 - 12:33 pm

I think this vampire thing is just stupid!!!We are humans and I would not have it any other way!!!I can think of a life with out cake or sweets,I mean why would you want 2 give your life away for something that does not make any sence?Or that does not exict!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 2 3 4 10