Last year at The Grand Masquerade it was announced to all of the hardcore Vampire: The Masquerade fans that a new massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) titled World of Darkness was being created. Based on White Wolf’s hugely popular RPG, fans were beyond geeked when they heard of the upcoming game. However, details on World of Darkness have been frustratingly sparse – until now. At this year’s Grand Masquerade CCP Games finally opened up on the project and shared an assortment of random info on what we can expect to see in the game (which is still in pre-production).
Here’s what was revealed at the World of Darkness panel:
- Everyone starts off as a mortal, becoming kindred is optional and cannot be forced on a player. If you want, you can play the entire game as a mortal.
- There will be final death for both mortals and kindred.
- The producers said that their philosophy in making this MMO was “human interaction.” They feel it’s limited in current MMO’s and their biggest weakness.
- Since the game is meant for adults, they will not shy away from gore, blood and nudity. However, it will have a purpose and will not be adult content for the sake of adult content.
- There will be a general CCP run metaplot that develops over time but the main metaplots will be left for the players to drive forward.
- PvP will be more limited in some ways, yet more open in others than any other current MMO. Whatever that’s supposed to mean is beyond me.
- There will be multiple cities and communication between them (the various kindred and clans) will be possible (and encouraged).
- Casual players will find the game easy enough to play, but hardcore players will have a much deeper experience and more rewards/benefits.
- There will be NO day/night cycle, only night.
- Players that bully others and cause problems lose “humanity” points and could become flagged for constant attack by other players and NPCs.
- Players will have havens.
- Players can climb the social ladder and become the Prince of the city.
- This game will only have Kindred – no werewolves, mages… etc.
- MMO character sheet very similar to the Vampire: The Masquerade PnP character sheet.
- Character names over the avatars head by default turned off, but can turn them on.
- The environment in the game will change over time; real in game consequences for player actions.
- There will only be one world server.
And that about covers what they discussed on World of Darkness. They did add that more details will be revealed… next year. Sounds like we have a LONG wait for this game.
What do you think of World of Darkness? Does it sounds like a video game you could get into?