I bet many of you are wondering how someone is turned into a vampire. We all know the most popular way involving lots of blood sucking (they suck, you suck). But if you take a look at folklore, old customs and traditions throughout the world you’ll learn that there are many ways someone was believed to turn into a vampire. Some of these are pretty ridiculous, but hey, people believed anything back in the day.
- Born at certain times of the year (like a new moon or a holy day).
- Born with red caul, with teeth, or with an extra nipple.
- Born with a red birthmark, born with extra hair, born with two hearts.
- Conceived on a holy day (sex during the holidays is a no no).
- Weaned too early.
- Still being breast fed after weaning.
- Death without baptism (this goes for adults too).
- Born the seventh son of a seventh son.
- A vampire stared at the mother while she was pregnant.
- Had a curse cast on them.
- Mother did not eat enough salt during pregnancy.
- Stillborn babies.
Things Done During Life That Results In Vampirism
- Committing Suicide.
- Eating the flesh of an animal that was accidentally killed, not properly slaughtered.
- Being a Turk.
- Being a witch or sorcerer.
- Eating sheep that was killed by a wolf.
- Leading an immoral life (prostitutes, thieves, murderers…etc.)
- Saying a mass while in a state of sin.
- Being a werewolf.
- Having sex with an animal.
- Having a vampire bite three times.
- Stealing the ropes used to bury a corpse.
Death or After-Death Causes
- Being killed by a vampire.
- Wind from the Russian Steppe blowing on the corpse
- Having a shadow fall on the corpse.
- Death by violence or murder.
- Having a cat or other animal jump over the corpse.
- No burial or improper burial.
- Murder that is unrevenged.
- Having a candle pass over the corpse.
- Having one’s brother sleepwalk.
- Death by drowning.
- Death by plague.
- Being buried face up (this is from some parts of Romania).
- Dying during childbirth.