This past weekend The Vampire Diaries cast and producer took over the Saban Theatre for Paley Fest to chat about the second half of the third season. A crowd of lucky fans not only got an early screening of the next Vampire Diaries’ episode “1912” but they also got the chance to ask the cast and executive producer Julie Plec questions on what’s to come this season and later seasons.
1. 1912: The next episode, airing March 15, reveals the aftermath of the shocking Meredith-Alaric showdown.
2. The love triangle: When asked about if Damon-Elena-Stefan love triangle would progress in any direction, executive producer Julie Plec said, “The love triangle is coming to a head, but maybe not the head.” Whatever that means.
3. Elena’s pre-Salvatore life: At the moment, producers are looking for actors to play Elena’s adoptive parents (and Jeremy’s biological ones), revisiting the moment of the fatal car accident that killed them and introduced Stefan into Elena’s life. “We’re talking about having Elena’s life before we had vampires in it,” Plec says, “and her parents are a part of it.”
4. Esther’s plan to kill her children is back on: You may have thought Mama Esther was gone for good, but oh no, she’s coming back. According to Plec. “Esther’s plan to take out her children [will be revisited],” she revealed.
5. Damon and Rebekah revisited: In the March 29 episode titled “The Murder of One,” “Damon does something really crappy to Rebekah and hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” Plec teased to the crowd. I am guessing this may have something to do with a screen shot that was recently revealed where Rebekah is seen torturing a bound and bloodied Damon (see below).
6. The BFFS: Kat Graham teased that in future episodes, viewers will see more scenes between Bonnie and Caroline. “You’ll see a lot more of Bonnie and Caroline working together a lot,” she shared.
7. More death in Mystic Falls?: Every season so far has had important and loved characters killed off, when asked if we will have more big deaths this season, Plec simply said, “I don’t know.” Which is what she says every season.
8. Katherine won’t return…yet: When asked whether Katherine will make an appearance before the season ends, Plec kind of halted the discussion for the time being. According to her, if Klaus is still in Mystic Falls, Katherine will be far, far away.
9. Bonnie’s possible love life: Kat was coy, but hinted that Bonnie will meet someone who doesn’t die.
10. Elena as a vampire?: A fan of the original L.J. Smith novels spoke about how Elena in the books was turned into a vampire. Three seasons into the show and there are no signs that the producers are going in that direction. Will she ever be a vampire? “We’ll see,” Plec simply replied.
Make sure to tune into The Vampire Diaries when it returns Thursday, March 15 at 8 p.m. on The CW. During the panel the topic of ratings was brought up, and the sexy Ian Somerhalder joked to the effect of: Don’t kill our ratings, they’re being killed already! So make sure to watch the show live and help the ratings so our beloved show doesn’t get cancelled.
What do you think about all of the hints shared at the panel?