Vampire Movie Trivia: Part 1
Every time I research a vampire movie I find all sorts of kick ass behind the scenes goodies! So hereâs a look at some rad vampire movie trivia from some of the greatest bloodsucking flicks out there.
– Remember that scene in Francis Ford Coppolaâs Bram Stokerâs Dracula when Prince Vlad screams after he drives his sword into the cross?Â That scream did not come from Gary Oldman. In fact, it came from Lux Interior, lead singer of punk band The Cramps. He recorded the scream and it was dubbed into the film.
– Jet Li was originally offered to play as Deacon Frost in Blade, but he opted to do Lethal Weapon 4 instead.
– You may have wondered why Queen of the Damned was NOTHING like Anne Riceâs book – well, sources say this was because Warner Bros. was into its last year of owning the rights to the first three books in the Vampire Chronicles. You see, after the year was up the rights wouldâve gone back to Anne Rice and she would have been able to hand them over to any film company of her choice. So, knowing how little time they had left, WB rushed to make “The Vampire Lestat” and “Queen of the Damned” into one film. They quickly hired writers to condense the two books and that was that. Added fact: Anne Rice considers the film a great disappoint to her and her fans.
– In Underworld, a kiss between Michael and Selene appears in the trailer but was not included in the theatrical release or on the DVD. But, you can now find it on the unrated version.
– The names of the Frog brothers in The Lost Boys, Edgar and Alan, are a reference to Edgar Allan Poe, the renowned horror author.
– When the legendary Bela Lugosi died in 1956, he was buried wearing the black silk cape he wore in the 1931 classic Dracula.
– The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer script by Joss Whedon was completely altered to make the film “lighter.” Joss was so frustrated by the re-writes and what they did to his vision that he eventually left the set during production and never came back. Luckily he came out with the Buffy show, which is a million times better than the movie.
Moonlight (aka Amanda) loves to write about, read about and learn about everything pertaining to vampires. You will most likely find her huddled over a book of vampire folklore with coffee in hand. Touch her coffee and she may bite you (and not in the fun way).