What Do You Want in a Vampire Book?
I did this over on Werewolves.com and my readers there enjoyed it so much I thought I’d bring the book-lovin’ fun here to the vampire fans. As the title asks – what do you want in a vampire book? Most book discussions revolve around what we hated in particular books. We tend to complain constantly about cliché storylines, stereotypical characters and all of that craptastic stuff, but today we’re going to switch it up and list off what we want in a vampire book.
Here’s my list of what I would like in my dream vampire book, and of course, I’d love to read your list as well so leave a comment below telling me all about what you want in a vampire book.
What I want in a vampire book…
- Little to no romance. I own well over a hundred vampire books and 99% of them are packed full of romance. I enjoy the occasional love story, I really do, but I’m fed up with vampire romances.
- A strong minded female lead. As I said in my werewolf post, I can’t stand reading about pathetic damsels in distress. However, I also can’t stand reading about perfectly perfect ass-kicking women. I want a realistic female lead for once, one who has weaknesses and flaws like anyone else, but also someone who doesn’t need to be saved by a knight in shining fangs. Female leads in vampire books tend to go one of two ways – they are weak, pitiful and need to be saved every other chapter or they are overly tough, cold and cynical. I want a realistic balance, a woman that can take care of herself, but also has her bad days.
- Folklore! I LOVE vampire folklore and I think it would be fantastic to have a book surrounding certain myths and legends.
- No werewolves. I love werewolf books, but I don’t want another werewolf vs. vampire storyline.
- Horror. I’m not usually a huge fan of horror, but lately when it comes to vampire books it’s what I am in the mood for. I want scary vampires, not love-struck vegetarian vamps. A touch of classic horror would be awesome.
- Castle! Preferably a magical castle. Yeah, I am a fantasy lover and well, I love castles, so having a vampire living in a mysterious and magical castle would rock so hard.
- Plot twists and turns. I don’t want just a regular story to read though, I want to be shocked and surprised, I want to think to myself “Wow, that’s totally not what I thought would happen!” I want a story that ends with a bang, not with a blah “the end” kinda feel.
- Backstories. I like learning about a character’s past, what brought them to this point in their lives, what makes them tick, why they think and act the way they do and so on, which is why I want a backstory.
- Different types of vampires in one story. I would love a book with one breed too, but I would also love to read a book that has multiple species (think Vampire: The Masquerade). A series featuring various vampires that all have different traits and powers would be highly entertaining.
- Art! No, I don’t want a picture book, but rather one with a few illustrations. Ever read a book that has a drawing at the start of each chapter? I think having something like that in a vampire book would be beyond amazing.
And I shall stop now, if I don’t I’ll end up writing an entire book on what I want in a book.
Now it’s your turn Dear Readers! Tell me what you want in a vampire book.
Moonlight (aka Amanda) loves to write about, read about and learn about everything pertaining to vampires. You will most likely find her huddled over a book of vampire folklore with coffee in hand. Touch her coffee and she may bite you (and not in the fun way).